Thursday, December 18, 2014

In Which I Am Called Mrs. Scientist Again...

... and don't really mind.

Every few weeks, I drag Tatoe to elementary school with me and spend an hour coaxing kindergarteners to practice their writing.  This being a small town, I know half of Bug's class (they are always very excited to see me).  And Bug's teacher refers to me as "Mrs. Scientist".

(There are several parents who do this for his class and they are all, in fact, Dr. Somebody, and all their spouses are also Dr. Somebody - though they encompass an MD and a veterinarian- because everyone who volunteers is a professor or the spouse of a professor.)

I think it doesn't bother me because I am there solely as a parent.  My authority as Dr. Somebody is not at issue.  I have authority at elementary school because I'm an adult, doing something for the teacher; being Dr. Anyone is irrelevant, especially as I'm hardly an expert in kindergarten education.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:15 AM

    Totally. I realize my circumstances are different, but pretty much the only time I get genuinely irritated is when my students call me Mrs. Bunny. I AM NOT YOUR HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER. At least call me Ms.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.