Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Good, Not Good, Both, Surreal

Living in a very (VERY) small town means it takes me five minutes to get to work.

It also means that ten minutes before I am standing before a room of college  students using my Listen Up I'm In Charge Here Loud Voice, I have a nursing baby in my arms. Right before I run out the door.  (They have all, by the way, been properly trained to call me Dr. Scientist this year.)

In a few months, it'll be easier.  If I'm still doing this next year, it'll be fine  (and maybe she'll even be weaned).  Right now it is strange and transitionless and jarring.

3 comments:

  1. I'm within walking distance of nursery, which is half-way between home and my office. It's also on one of two streets leading to downtown, which means there is A LOT of foot traffic towards the university in the mornings.

    Only once has a student spotted me running down the hill flailing my arms shouting "help, help, I'm being chased by a leopard, help, help, it's going to eat me!" while Gwen runs shrieking behind me. Only once, thank goodness. And thank goodness for the few minutes of transition nursery affords me. I go in Mom, I come out University Lecturer.

    [aryanhwy; LJ credentials failing to be verified.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny F Scientist1:25 PM

      Run, the Gwen leopard is coming! The spouse's students see him chkd wrangling all the time. Since he's a dude, I don't think it affects his authority in the same way, and is probably good for them.

      (I checked and it won't let ME comment with my LJ credentials either. So I blame Blogger. I did look into it- it seems to be a programming issue on the back end which, unfortunately, can't fix myself.)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:38 PM

      Okay, try it now? I changed some things and am running all the comment through moderation. Apparently the check box and LJ can't play nicely.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.